Bayside in the Park Portfolio
Scope and Contents
The portfolio consists of a dark green box (19 1/4" x 12 3/4" x 2 1/2"), emblazoned with the project’s distinctive pink shell logo, that holds the other five materials. Two are spiral-bound books, one describing the Proposal and the other introducing the Team. There is a booklet describing the Concept of the project, as well as a Sketchbook consisting of 15 loose-leaf architectural drawings enclosed in a folder that envisions the proposed plan. The last material within the box is a hardcover copy of Glasshouses and Wintergardens of the Nineteenth Century that served as inspiration for the envisioned concept of Bayside in the Park.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1983
- JMB/Federated Realty (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection/portfolio is open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
JMB/Federated Realty was formed with various architectural and engineering companies in 1983 in order to submit a bid for the development of Bayside Park. One of the participating architectural companies was based locally in Coral Gables. The proposal lost 10-1 in the Bayside Committee’s vote, and eventually lost 4-0 in the City Commission’s vote as well.
Note written by
Note written by
Language of Materials
This portfolio was submitted by JMB/Federated Realty to the City of Miami’s 1983 bidding competition to develop a waterfront marketplace in the Bayside area of downtown. They took their inspiration from Victorian gardens and glasshouses, and hoped to bring that particular aesthetic to the area. Ultimately it was rejected in favor of another project proposal from the Rouse Company, fresh off a wave of recent successes that they anticipated replicating in Miami.
There is no particular arrangement needed as the box serves as the container for the other materials.
Finding aid was written by Ana D. Rodriguez and Jennifer Mendoza.
- Architectural design -- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture portfolios -- Design Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida -- Miami Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shopping centers -- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tourism and city planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Unbuilt architectural projects Subject Source: Local sources
- Bayside in the Park Portfolio
- Ana D. Rodriguez and Jennifer Mendoza
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note